
“Neither snow, nor rain, nor heat, nor gloom of night stays these courageous couriers from the swift completion of their appointed rounds (Herodotus).” From what I can find, that saying dates back to around 500 B.C., but it is more commonly known as the unofficial motto for the United States Postal Service. Today, it fits my mission perfectly.
While most people took a snow day and stayed wrapped up on their couches watching the snow through their windows on 2/26/2010, I bundled up to brave the Nor’easter. It was all in the name of finding the perfect cookie in New York City.
Normally I walk everywhere in NYC, but I made an exception and jumped on a bus … destination:
Location #2: Levain Bakery (167 West 74 Street)
Levain Bakery is my second stop on the search for the perfect cookie in the Big Apple. I’ve read rave reviews online and have heard nothing but praise from people who’ve actually tasted the cookies from this bakery.
Levain is on the City’s Upper West Side. Keep your eyes peeled because if you aren’t looking for it, you’d pass right by Levain Bakery. You have to walk down a few steps to make it into this tiny shop. Every step brings you closer and closer to the amazing smell of cookies, breads and those bakery smells that just make your mouth water. Despite my desire to eat everything in front of me (brioche, scones, rolls, fresh bread…) I had to stay focused. The mission I chose to accept: find the perfect cookie. I quickly ordered the one everyone told me was the BEST: The Chocolate Chip Walnut.
The Chocolate Chip Walnut looks tremendous. It has the homemade cookie shape, rough around the edges and nice and plump (it also weighs a lot for a cookie!). I couldn’t wait to sink my teeth into this one. Levain’s cookie is perfectly crisp on the outside with a beautifully soft inside: so far so good. Unfortunately, I found the addition of the walnuts to be a mistake. This cookie has the potential to be AMAZING. Instead I’d say it is just good. I think the walnuts create confusion in the mouth because it changes what the anticipated texture should be. I think the nut also takes away from the delicious chocolate Levain uses. The dough is just delightful; it didn’t have that baking soda aftertaste. The weight also came into play, I couldn't finish this cookie at one sitting, it was so filling. The Chocolate Chip Walnut simply falls short. I’d love to try Levain’s Chocolate Chip cookie sans walnuts. Maybe one day they’ll try it.
I want to be clear I wouldn’t turn down another cookie from Levain Bakery; it’s just not the best, in my opinion. I will travel back. I wanted to taste the Cinnamon Buns made famous on The Oprah Winfrey Show; unfortunately Levain only makes them on the weekend.
After hiking through about a foot of snow and shelling out about $4 at Levain, I’d say the “Candy Jar Cookie” from Ruby et Violette remains #1 in my book.
Up next: Bouchon Bakery
No comments:
Post a Comment