Every Tuesday and Wednesday night I grab a bottle of water and take my seat for my “live” Idol concerts: row A seat 1. Like millions of other Americans, I have a front row seat every week as 12 (this year 13), 11, 10, 9 … hopefuls battle it out for the chance to win the title “American Idol.”
The price of admission: live songs from the Idols; performances from former Idols; current chart toppers; and people like Stevie Wonder and Randy Travis who have a history of selling millions and millions of records.
For 7 seasons and so far this year, Idol continues to deliver on those staples. But, this year for the first time, I’m extremely disappointed in Idol. I understand no one tunes in on Wednesday nights just for the group numbers. It isn’t a must see for me, but I do enjoy seeing the personalities that emerge when there isn’t any pressure from the judges, the Idols can cut loose and have fun. Season 8 Idol masterminds decided to have the contestants lip synch the group numbers this year. And, in an almost slap in the face to fans and critics calling foul, Idol actually taped and edited the group number last week. The idols were at times singing without microphones nearby. Give me and the millions of people I watch this show with every week a break. We tune in to see how these Idol wannabes perform live. We tune in to learn about the contestants, gauge their personalities and decided who we’d like to vote for so we can spend $20 on their album when they win “American Idol.”
Since season 1 contestants have pulled off these performances, some were stellar, others forgettable, but they did it. So, why start prerecording these songs? You can’t argue it looks better because the contestants haven’t mastered the art of lip synching, some of them aren’t moving their lips when we hear their voices, others are clearly mouthing the wrong verse. Love them or hate them, the group numbers are part of the Idol experience.
I’d like to call on the Idol producers to rethink the decision. If some of the Idols can’t pull these numbers off, a good producer would retool the live elements to let the power Idols shine and figure a way to play up the strengths of the weaker contestants. Are the Idol’s going to lip synch the group songs on tour or will fans get what we pay for this summer: Idols singing live, not trying to pull off their best “Britney Spears?” (No offense Brit, I’m a huge fan!!)
To be perfectly honest, for now, these are idle frustrations on my part. Currently, I have no plan to give up my front row seat this season. But, if questionable decisions like this continue, my Idol love may start to fade.
Check back tomorrow to see who I think will get voted off this week.
Megan :)
Tuesday, March 31, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
My best guess? The editing and lip syncing are because of Scott. I predict we'll be back to live group numbers the week after he's kicked off.
ReplyDelete