Monday, March 9, 2009

A Star is Born!

Like just about everyone right now, Broadway is suffering from the economic downturn. In the past few months, a number of shows from Legally Blonde to Hairspray and Spamalot to Young Frankenstein closed their doors. $100 plus ticket prices and a decline in tourism are two of the many issues critics point to when trying to explain the reasons behind slumping ticket sales. Broadway is a major piece of American history. Artists dream of making it on the Great White Way while those of us with two left feet and a voice that sends the dog running love sitting in those seats watching rising stars put on magical performances. Here’s to a spring and summer that keeps those dazzling lights aglow for decades more.

One of those stars sure to keep the seats full is Josefina Scaglione. She is making her Broadway debut as Maria in the revival of West Side Story at the Palace Theatre. I was fortunate enough to see one of the preview performances last week and as one of the woman I saw the show with said, “We were lucky enough to be there when a star was born.” It’s almost as if Leonard Bernstein (music) and Stephen Sondheim (lyrics) wrote this musical specifically for Scaglione’s opera trained voice.

If you don’t know, West Side Story is about two rival gangs in 1950s New York City (Jets vs. Sharks) and the love affair between Tony, a member of the American gang (Jets) and Maria, the sister of Bernardo who is the leader of the Puerto Rican gang (Sharks). If this reminds you of a Shakespeare classic you’re right, the musical is based on Romeo and Juliet.

Overall, I'd say this revised version of West Side Story is good and stays pretty true to the original script. But, the female cast members way outshine the males. Tony (played by Matt Cavenaugh) and Riff (played by Cody Green) hold their own, but the rest of the men seem a bit weak and out of character for the tough group they are supposed to be.

The women, led by Scaglione, are one of the most talented groups of singers and dancers I’ve seen assembled on Broadway lately. Second to Scaglione is Karen Olivo who plays Anita. She brings a perfect mixture of spice and attitude the role needs while finding her sensitive and grieving side when Anita’s world gets turned upside down. One of the best scenes in the play is “America” led by Anita. The dancing, singing and timing all came together to make this the energetic get on the edge of your seat number it should be! I felt like I was up on stage selling what is so great about America with Anita!

The dancing in West Side Story is so beautiful, smooth and rhythmic, it is amazing how fighting can look so peaceful as the dancers glide across the stage showing their power through the strength of their movements.

One of the changes this revival introduces is the addition of some songs performed in Spanish. I’ve never studied Spanish and probably can count the number of Spanish words I know on one hand, but the switch up was magical. The way the cast performed songs like “I feel Pretty” made this Spanish dummy feel like I spoke the language fluently, job well done.

While this revival is still a bit rough around the edges, this classic is sure to please. On the Megan Meter I give West Side Story a 3.5 out 5 stars!

Some of the other revivals appearing on Broadway this season are Pal Joey, South Pacific and Hair.

No comments:

Post a Comment